"Walker County was formed in 1833 from Murray County, at this time the territory of Walker included not only it's present area, but all of Dade and a large part of Whitfield, Catoosa and Chattooga counties. In 1837 all of Walker's territory west of the top of Lookout Mountain was cut off and the county of Dade was established as the most northwestern county in the State.
In 1838 another portion was cut off and the county of Chattooga was established. Then again in 1853, more territory was extracted and the county of Catoosa was formed. In 1853 and later in 1859 other portions of Walker County were used to make Whitfield County."
"Walker County was named for Major Freeman Walker of Augusta, who was one of the leading members of the Bar in his day and for some years a Senator from Georgia.
The early settlements of Walker County included, Armurchee (East and West); Cane Creek; Cedar Grove; Chestnut Flat; Chickamauga; Chattanooga Valley; Kensington; LaFayette; Lisbon; Lookout Mountain; Pond Spring; Rock Springs; Rossville; Wilson and Duck Creek."
--from The History of Walker County, Georgia by James Alfred Sartain. Published by A.J. Showalter Company, Dalton, Georgia, 1932